Relocating to Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Welcome to Brisbane – the River City.
Brisbane is the state of Queensland’s subtropical capital city and is the third largest city in Australia. Population estimate in 2011 was 2.147 million over an area of 5,950 square kilometres. Queensland is considered one of the best holiday destinations in the world, well known for its natural beauty and world-class tourism attractions along with its excellent climate.
Brisbane has a great outdoors lifestyle and the greatest variety of native wildlife (dugongs, wild dolphins and koalas just to name a few) of any capital city in Australia, offering an impressively diverse menu of leisure and recreational activities. From art lover to outdoor adventurer, Brisbane caters to all tastes.
Brisbane’s prime location, excellent transport infrastructure and proximity to the marine sanctuary of Moreton Bay also make it the ideal launch pad for day-trips to some of the country’s most well-loved tourist attractions, including the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and iconic Australia Zoo.
The Brisbane River which meanders through the city and suburbs dominates the most established areas and pleasantly impacts traffic and lifestyle (creating communities it is various pockets).
In recent years the central business district has seen a surge in high rise commercial and residential developments, greatly altering the skyline. However step out of the city for a kilometre or two and you are back in more tranquil, residential areas.
Some Useful Links
- Visit Brisbane: http://www.visitbrisbane.com.au/Travel/Default.aspx
Finding somewhere to live
- The Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ) www.reiq.com.au
Childcare and Education
- Education Queensland www.education.qld.gov.au/
- Playgroup Queensland www.playgroup.org.au
- Association of Australasian International Baccalaureate Schools www.aaibs.org
- Independent Schools of Queensland www.isq.qld.edu.au/
- Queensland Catholic Education Commission www.qcec.catholic.edu.au
- Study Assist www.studyassist.gov.au
- TAFE Courses Directory www.tafe.qld.gov.au
Health and welfare
- Medicare www.humanservices.gov.au
Entering the country
- Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) www.immi.gov.au
- Australian Customs Service www.customs.gov.au
- Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service www.daff.gov.au/aqis
- AQIS Pet Importing www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs
- Office of Fair Trading (Consumer Affairs Queensland) www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au
Online Street and Telephone Directories
- Yellow Pages phone directory www.yellowpages.com.au
- White Pages phone directory www.whitepages.com.au
- Department of Transport and Main Roads. www.tmr.qld.gov.au
- Public Transport Brisbane http://translink.com.au/
- Royal Automobile Club of Queensland www.racq.com.au
New and Used car websites
Media / Telecommunications
- The Courier Mail www.couriermail.com.au
- Free TV Australia www.freetv.com.au
- Foxtel www.foxtel.com.au
- Telstra www.telstra.com.au
- Optus www.optus.com.au
- National Broadband Network www.nbnco.com.au
Comparing Different Phone, Utility, Insurance Services All on One Page